03 December 2012

My before, during and after

In this post, I am listing the things I do and the nutrition regime I follow day-to-day and on races. Over the months and years, I have made a lot of adjustments and I am now very happy with the way things are going. Thanks to a lot of research and even more trial and error, I'm now very comfortable with sharing this. Of course, all comments and feedback on this subject are more than welcome!

When I started triathlon 8 years ago, I didn't have a clue about nutrition or recovery. All I understood back then was that I needed to avoid dehydration, which for me meant drink water and, maybe every now and then, add some rehydran salts to my water (something I learned from my diving days).

Well, over the years, I have learned that there was much more to it than just drink a lot of water. This has also become even more important for me now, as the older one gets, the closer the attention one has to pay to the body, otherwise it won't function as it should.

I truly believe that age doesn't mean that one cannot achieve the same physical goals a younger person can achieve, yet in order to do this, one needs to adjust a few aspects to make sure maximum performance is achieved and to avoid injury.

* Before
Glucosamine:
I have always had issues with knee pain, so much that I floated around the idea of surgery, until I started taking glucosamine. It was like a magic cure to all my knee problems, as if I have never had any! I take 1,500mg daily (one tablet after breakfast). Most glucosamine tablets around are extracted from shellfish, but I found a vegetarian option, which works better for me since I get to have some allergic reaction the longer I stay on the shellfish-based ones.

Multi-vitamins:
I choose multi-vit supplements that have the highest percentages of calcium, vitamin D, vitamin K and magnesium for my bones, vitamin B12 for reducing fatigue, and iron and vitamin B family for concentration.

Amino acids:
L-Arginine is the main amino acid supplement I take. My main interest in it is its forming of nitric oxide, which helps blood circulation, hence carrying more oxygen to the muscles. It also rids the body of ammonia and releases insulin (so, not suitable for diabetics). I take 750mg daily, but can increase this by another 750mg if I have a very demanding training session (of over 2 hours) or a race.

Concentrated beetroot juice:
This is another source of nitric oxide, and I take it in the form of small 70cl bottles (Beet-It Sport Stamina Shot) one hour before training. On days with training sessions of over 1 hour, I add another one about 12 hours before my session. I have found this to give me more sustained endurance, unlike just depending on high-carb gels during exercise.

Caffeine:
In addition to alertness, I find caffeine helps my performance during the longer sessions. It is also very useful before very early morning sessions or late evening sessions, when I am naturally more tired. I take it in the form of one or two 50mg tablets, depending on how tired I am and how demanding the training session is going to be. Note: Caffeine was lifted from the banned drugs list for sports in 2004.

Snickers Bar:
For me, there is nothing worse than feeling hungry! Feeling weak, chafing and getting cramps might be up there with those terrible feelings, but nothing is worse than hunger. So, to avoid this feeling of hunger, and still make use of the energy boost, I find Snickers to be the perfect solution. Unlike gels, it actually fills you, and it's always a very welcome feeling. It is also not so aggressive on the stomach, that I do not tend to feel it "coming up" while I'm exercising.

Vaseline:
Over the years, I have found that the most pain I had that actually prevented me from exercising was chafing! Not cramps, lack of energy or other common causes, but chafing! Vaseline on the nipples is crucial on runs (long or short), and inside the thighs on long bike rides. I also tend to try and use a non-petroleum based lubricant on my neck during races to avoid the terrible chafing that can be caused by the wetsuit. Vaseline can actually ruin the neoprene of the wetsuit, which is why I try to use other products (such as Bodyglide), but they're never as good as vaseline. I also know some people who use vaseline on their feet to avoid blisters, but I just tend to be picky with which socks I use to do that.

Warm-up:
Whatever the session length or intensity, in whichever discipline, I always include a 10-minute warm up at zone 2-3 (mostly at zone 2). The warm-up acts as an injury preventer as well as I like to feel strong during my main sets, and I am usually very sluggish during the first 15 minutes.


* During
Powerade ION4:
I have tried so many different drinks and researched this very thoroughly, and I am now quite happy with Powerade ION4. In addition to the usual carbs found in other sports drinks, it has very low calories and it includes minerals (salts), which are very important for me, since my legs tend to cramp easily, and this somewhat reduces that risk. I also like the taste of the Berry Flavour (the blue one), which, if it's the only thing you're drinking for 4 or 5 hours, it is a very important aspect. I tend to have a good sip every 15 minutes (around 500ml every hour).

Other nutrition:
On longer rides, and runs of over 90 minutes, I tend to add some more nutrition to the equation. One main thing I add is SIS GO Isotonic Energy gel, which I take every 30 minutes or so.


* After
Cool-down:
As with the warm-up, I always end with a 5-10 minute cooling down period, both to bring down my heart rate, and for my muscles to not seize up. I find that if I stop straight after an intense session without a cool-down, I tend to get cramped up.

Stretching:
Long and thorough stretching is a necessity for me after any and all training sessions, as well as racing. It helps with recovery and it prepares the muscles for the next session, squeezing out lactic acid and helping the muscles to regain shape. Also, the older I get, my muscles seem to really feel the strain if I don't stretch properly, which makes stretching even more important.

Chocolate Milk:
I used to take high-protein recovery drinks after exercise, but then I came across some research and heard some pro athletes talk about the use of milk, and specifically chocolate milk, as a recovery drink. When I compared the nutrition values with the recovery drinks I used to use, I found that they were very similar, with the added benefits of additional calcium (good for bones) and the much nicer taste! I take 500ml after training, and I usually take a whole litre after sessions longer than 2 hours.

Ice/cold bath:
When I had my first cold bath after a long intense session, it was a real revelation. My muscles felt refreshed and ready the next day, and it wasn't that difficult to do, which is a very important aspect. During the winter here in the UK, I only have to turn on the cold tap, which is enough to have a bath full of water at 3-5 degrees, so it's cold enough! I do it only for my legs, so I do not have my torso immersed (I'm not that sadistic). The first 3-4 minutes are very unpleasant, but then the remaining time (total of 15 minutes) it feels fine. I usually have one of those once or twice a week, after a long and intense session.

Sleep:
My body seems to react very negatively to lack of sleep, and my training takes a huge beating when I am tired. So, with a full-time hectic job, family time, and training, I have to make sure that I am well rested. Sleep also helps with muscle recovery. Nothing like doing nothing to help muscles relax!

Food:
I eat everything I like in moderation, and on days that my HR monitor says that I have burned 3,000 calories, I try to recover what I lost :) I just try, as much as possible, to reduce my intake of fats, try to increase proteins in my diet, and load up on carbs on heavy workout days. Nothing too scientific there, but just not going overboard (most of the time).


That's all I can think of for now. Please feel free to give me any suggestions, as long as they have scientific reasoning and/or you have actually tried and tested them. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment