20 January 2013

Snow, food, bike build and training adjustments

In the past 10 days, temperatures have significantly dropped, and I've had to cycle in sub zero, snowy and icy conditions. When there is thick snow or it is very icy, the choice is usually simple, since changing the session to doing it on the turbo trainer doesn't take long. But, when it's "just" cold, without the visible painful conditions, this is when my head doesn't get it, and I would end up sick with a bad cold, like I've been for the past few days.

It is cold!
I believe it wasn't the temperature that did it, but a track session after the bike without changing my sweaty clothes has contributed to this. Note to self: change shirt in brick sessions during cold winter months!

So, while I've been off training for the past 3 days with this annoying cold, I have been eating as if I've been training normally; meaning consuming over 3,000 calories a day without even getting out of the house. Not a very clever thing to do (although I've enjoyed it). On a normal week day, I burn around 1,500 just during my training sessions, while I burn around 3,000 calories during training on each weekend day. This usually means my food quantities are higher than average, with good justification, but not when I'm sat down doing nothing. Luckily, it's still early in my training season, so I have time to recover from that.

A good thing that's come out though during these 3 days is that, whilst I was stuffing my face, I managed to have finally ordered the last components to complete the bike build I've been trying to work on for a few weeks. Although the bike frame I bought is an old second hand one, it seems to be in very good condition and it's one that I've had my eye on for over 4 years! It's not as advanced or aggressive as the Specialized Venge, which I'm hoping that I'll manage to get one day, but, for me, this is the second best choice for what I want to do, especially for long training rides. It's the Specialized Roubaix Comp (2004 model). I got the frame, fork and seat post on eBay, but then I have recently been picking up all the other components brand new. I've been lucky to pick up some really cool bargains, especially the crankset and the gear mechs. The crankset is the FSA K-Force Light Compact and I've opted for Ultegra 6700 mechs, breaks and levers. I did think about going all out on the Dura Ace, but I didn't really see any difference justifying the huge price gap. For the wheels, I'm just going to use my old Shimano RS20 for the next few months during training, and maybe try and get some Zipp 404 wheels in a few months before my main races start.

On paper, this bike should weigh just under 7kg with the heavy training wheels, so I'm super excited about this. It should be a huge upgrade from my current 12.7kg Cannondale, and the geometry should mean more comfort and more speed! I'm hoping that the build will be completed before the end of the month.

As for my training this year, which started on 31 December, I have made a few adjustments to fit everything around my normal work/family day. I swapped some swim and track sessions, decided to use one pool for 2 sessions and another for the other 2 sessions because of opening and class times they have, the bike rides, which are mainly associated with my commute, are now properly sorted out in terms of routes, changes in types of tyres used to more puncture protected and more reliable ones, having sufficient supply of CO2 cartridges and inner tubes, etc.

As for training frequency, intensity and volume, so far it seems that I am just pushing very hard, but just before hitting my limits, which I'm hoping will mean less or no injuries. The only session, so far, that seems to really hurt the following day is the running drills session, which I hope means that it's actually working...

In these cold and wet months, stay warm and stay safe, everyone! Enjoy your training as much as I'm enjoying mine, and don't get too comfortable on the sofa ;)



2 comments:

  1. Hi Hassan,
    I've just noticed your blog. I like it and have subscribed by email. I'll add a link to your blog in mine :-)
    All the best pursuing your triathlon dreams.
    Tarek

    ReplyDelete