01 July 2013

Certified Coach, A Few Tweaks, & Looking For Sponsors!

I have finally become a Certified Triathlon Coach. After a few months of studying everything anatomy, nutrition and training, I can now coach myself and others, backed by formal scientific knowledge, and not just experience. I should be launching my coaching website very soon on www.hassan-afifi.com.

During June, since I came back from Madrid, I have made a few adjustments to my nutrition and routines. After having a chest x-ray and getting the all clear from my doctor, I resumed training with more focus on the swim and the bike. My sports nutrition has also seen some adjustments. In my last blog post, I have mentioned that I wanted to see if I could cut down on the number of energy gels and move more towards a drinks-based solution. I think I have found it. I have switched my drink from Powerade to SIS GO Electrolyte. It has the same amount of salts, but a much higher amount of carbohydrates, which means I can reduce the number of gels I take on board quite dramatically. The only consideration is that, because it is very sweet, on longer sessions, I have to take on board some normal water to get over that sweet taste in the mouth, which becomes a bit too much after a while.

Another small change I made was upgrading my watch from the Suunto T3 to the Suunto Ambit2S. I have looked at all the options in the market, from Garmin to Timex and a few others, and came to the conclusion that the Ambit2S was the most suitable for me. While having all the functionality of a Garmin Forerunner 910XT, it is much smaller and I can use it as a normal watch. Other watches lacked on functionality, compared to these two.

The bike has been another issue that I looked into upgrading. The conclusion is now down to that I shall probably buy a new frame and fit all the components I have on my current bike, which I bought new and I'm very happy with. The 2 I am down to are the S-Works Venge and the Boardman Air 9.8. There is a big difference in price, but the performance of both is quite close, with the Boardman even being the bike winning at my distance (with the Brownlee brothers). I still have a good couple of months before I have to get it, so enough time to think about it and try to get to ride both. I'm riding the Venge tomorrow, then I have to find a Boardman to ride. Also, any feedback from you, kind people out there, would be very highly appreciated.

Now that I have my triathlon plans laid out clearly for the next 5 years, I have started to look for sponsorship for 2014 to, at least, allow me to travel to all the races I would like to particpate in. The plan is that, after London (September 2013), I shall start training with the aim of achieving a time close to 2:15 for the Olympic distance by February/March 2014. Then, I would like to participate in 10-12 specific races in 2014, trying to get up the ranks in Africa in my age group, with the goal of moving to elite races in 2015 and try to qualify for Rio 2016. Depending on whether I qualify or not, the timing of seeking to participate in longer distance triathlons, such as 70.3 and Ironman races, will then be my focus, with the goal of qualifying for the 70.3 and Ironman World Championships in 2017 and 2018, respectively (or 2016 and 2017 if no Rio).

So, if you, or someone you know, can think of a way to help me with finding sponsors, I would be more than grateful to hear from you! I already have all the needed details ready.

A final note. I'll be more than happy to help you with your triathlon training. Just drop me a line so we can discuss it.

Stay safe and healthy!

Suunto Ambit2S

S-Works Venge

Boardman Air 9.8

2 comments:

  1. Hassan, congratulations on your certification as a triathlon coach. Having read all your posts and noticed how detailed you analyse your performance and plan your next steps, I am sure you would be a great coach for anyone.
    Since I've lost my Garmin 310xt (actually forgot it on a business trip in a hotel in Reading and they couldn't find it), I have been considering buying a Garmin 910xt. I guess I should compare with Suunto Ambit 2 first before making a final decision.
    Good luck with your next steps and finding a sponsor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the encouragement Tarek. I really do appreciate it :)

      Delete