15 June 2015

Same goals, different approach (WTS London, IM 70.3 Staffordshire)

If consistency is the most important trait that one needs to have to reach their sporting goals (or any other goals), flexibility should be as important. Over the past 7-8 months, I have been super busy trying to get the new triathlon team off the ground, working on a couple of related projects to bring triathlon closer to the Arab region, and my training has taken a backseat.

With crazy working hours and a crazier travel schedule, I have found it almost impossible to fit in any training. The result of this was that I had to skip quite a few races I was registered to take part in. One of the main races I really wanted to do was today's Ironman 70.3 Staffirdshire. But, with a half Ironman, I couldn't have possibly just gone and tested myself after such a long time of no proper training.

So, I decided that whatever happened, I had to do another race 2 weeks before, which I was registered to do, and that was the Olympic distance race of WTS London, at Hyde Park. The aim of this race for me was to just do it at a very leisurely pace, close enough to a half distance race pace, and see how I would feel during and afterwards, which would then lead me to deciding whether or not to do the half distance race in Staffordshire.

My preparation for the race was extremely relaxed; much more than usual. I guess knowing that I was not there to beat any records of mine did not put any pressure on me. I only saw the course map the night before the race (well, I've done it twice already, so not completely new to me), and I didn't do any of my usual precise nutrition planning. I was there just to have fun!

I started the swim at too leisurely a pace, much slower than what I would even do at a very easy cool down in the pool. This meant that it took me longer to do the 1,500 metres swimming in a wetsuit than it takes me to do 2,500 metres in the pool. Yet, on a very positive note, I got my sighting right, and I actually did 1,506 metres; something I can't say I was great at in the past! :) So, first positive of the day.

Swimming at this pace meant that I was just about to start warming up, especially with the somewhat cool water temperature of 16 degrees, and the cool breeze outside. I had a smooth transition, out on the bike, and I just felt amazing at the beginning of the ride. I also have to say that, although the custom-made Dassi TT bike was originally not customised for me, the fit and the ride was just so awesomely perfect for me, which helped a tonne!

This good feeling meant that I saw some power metre readings that I wasn't really expecting or targeting. This meant that I changed my game plan a bit, and instead of aiming to do the race at my half distance pace, I decided to aim for an average power for the 40 km that was 25 watts higher than my usual. And, I did it, and my average power was 24 watts more than the average I was initially aiming for.

But, as soon as I dismounted from the bike, I felt the result of that, as well as the result of my relaxed nutrition approach. I basically felt my legs! After a smooth and quick transition, I started my 10 kilometre run, and the legs felt like I've already been running for quite a while. I know exactly the feeling of those first few minutes after transition, but this was not the same. I had to remind myself of two facts: 1. I haven't had any proper training for 7 months, and 2. I pushed too hard on the bike. So, I shouldn't be surprised, and the goal was to minimise the damage and try to finish the run without much walking and by dealing with inevitable cramps coming up.

A four lap run usually means boredom, but actually on the day it was helpful, as my buddy, Hamada, was there cheering for me, so I wasn't in no man land for too long before some encouragement coming my way from the sidelines, which helped massively!

I ended the race roughly within the time frame I was expecting and I felt absolutely fine straight after.

This led me into a kind of dilemma about the decision I needed to make regarding Staffordshire. So, I decided to try and get a good 10 days of training to see how it goes, then if all is well, I would taper for 4 days and off I would go. But, during my training over these past few days, I thought to myself about the purpose of such a race, and I couldn't find any decent justification in my head for me to do it, other than the fact that I was registered (which is always painful), especially that this would now be the third race already this year that I have registered for and not done.

But, decision was taken that I would actively aim for the Ironman 70.3 Dublin as a first half distance race to try my legs in, then focus on getting to another tough race I'm registered to do, which is Ironman 70.3 Zell-am-See Kaprun in Austria. It also helps that now we have new half distance races on the calendar in the Arab region, which will also be on my list for this year, because I will probably be there anyway, so I might as well aim for these and do them properly.

My task now is a tough one, trying to get ready for the races in August. I have put on a thicker layer of fat than I would have liked to, but it was inevitable with all the travel and no decent training, but I shall certainly enjoy working hard to change that. I have also mapped out my training plan for the next few months, which will be tough, not from an actual session point of view (although these are tough in and of themselves), but tough to fit in with the hectic schedule. Yet, I have to remember that I've done it before, so I just have to toughen up and get over it :) The third challenge for me, starting from Wednesday, will be the month of fasting (Ramadan), where my training will have to be mostly at night, after I have broken my fast. So, this will be interesting, as always.

Under any other circumstances I would have been disappointed to have missed out on training or if I did badly in a race, but I am not unhappy about any of this, in the least. The reason for this is that what has been keeping me busy over the past months, I can already see some of its fruits, and it is encouraging hundreds of people now across the region to be more active and giving people hope, which I'm hoping we'll be able to follow it up with decent offerings to them. The creation of the pro team, the gathering of the development team, the signing of an amazing coach for the development squad, bringing some brilliant triathlon brands into the region to enable people to get into triathlon more easily, the projects we are now working on with the Arab Triathlon Confederation to promote the sport across the region, and other projects we are working on to encourage women in the Arab region to participate in triathlon, these have all been time consuming tasks that were worth every minute of it, especially after seeing how my 13 year old daughter was motivated when I took her with me to Barcelona to watch the half Ironman there and meet some amazing age group athletes from Egypt who were doing the race. Also, when my little niece knew I was going to be in Cairo for 1 day, she left me the sweetest note (the one in the picture here) that really made me realise that I must be doing something right.

Now, half way through 2015, I'll do my best to get back into athlete mode alongside whatever else I'm doing.

Hopefully, I'll also schedule in time to update this blog :)

As always, thank you all so much for your continued support, and for all those who have sent words of encouragement over these past few months. It really means a lot, and it is what keeps me going... So, thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I know what it feels like to juggle so many priorities and additionally put oneself under pressure by committing to some races without the appropriate training. On the other hand, this "over"-commitment keeps me going. After all, I don't want to embarrass myself (I still do though).
    It looks like your niece is proud of you, and rightly so. I would have added "my uncle is visionary and a doer". Keep going.

    ReplyDelete